Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Cop Punches 17 year old girl.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2010, 18:59
~RedFraggle~
It makes a difference when the Bloopers in question have a level of intelligence and education of course!
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2010, 18:24
~RedFraggle~
As a lawyer do you think she would have a case there?
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2010, 18:47
Madeline Rain
Oh, she has a very good case! I don't know the laws in Washington, but watching the video, I have no doubt that there are hundreds of plaintiffs' attorneys drooling over taking this case. Police brutality is taken very seriously in the US, and in this case, the girl will get an obsene amount of money.
0 likes [|reply]
18 Jun 2010, 20:30
.miss.raditude.
The only reason she has a good case is because a) Caucasian cop hit a b) African American woman. That's it.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 15:31
.miss.raditude.
That's a good idea, I need to go badger and assault a police officer, and then I can sue the department for any harm that they could've caused me and "get an obscene amount of money". *eye roll* That's our f'd up judicial system for you. And, personally, I wouldn't ask a defense attorney about jack. They are the scum of the earth. Literally.

0 likes [|reply]
21 Jun 2010, 17:27
Madeline Rain
What kind of defense attorney are you talking about? A criminal defense attorney? Nobody that I know of is a criminal defense attorney here. Although I would beg to differ about who the scum of the earth is. A person who has gotten an extensive education and uses it to make sure people are represented in a court of law, or the people who talk about topics they have no idea about because they live far enough from civilization that they don't get the newspapers? ;)
0 likes [|reply]
21 Jun 2010, 23:09
~RedFraggle~
Lol.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jun 2010, 02:39
.miss.raditude.
No, all attorneys, there money hungry bastards. And I'm scum of the earth because you think I don't get NATIONAL newspapers?? Mmhmm...ok...sure.
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jun 2010, 13:41
Madeline Rain
@ miss.ratitude:
Really? All attorneys are money hungry bastards? How do you know? Have you met all attorneys? Again, please enlighten me, since you seem so sure of your statement.

Second, you said "you ASSAULT a POLICE OFFICER in the UNITED STATES, THEY ARE ENTITLED TO USE WHATEVER FORCE THEY FIND NECESSARY". I cannot tell you how wrong this is. You cannot use deadly force unless deadly force is used on you! Moreover, a police officer has a standard of duty which only allows him to use deadly force to the extent it is outlined in his training. Again, I don't claim to know the laws in Washington State (unlike you, miss.ratitude.), but I am willing to bet punching someone in the head (deadly force) is not a form of self defense outlined in this police officer's training manual, especially for an offense such as jaywalking.

0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 08:40
Moonlight Shadows
Just chiming in here to some of the comments I've seen...

@RedFrag - what you may or may not know is that cops, especially in Washington are extremely on edge right now. They are still dealing with the shitty year they had last year. One guy just randomly pulled up to two cops sitting in a car and shot at them - one died and the other was a rookie.. surprisingly this did not sway the rookie from continuing as an officer. Also, cops were just chillin' in a Starbucks and a guy opened fire on them. Both of these happened for no reason, with no prior warning. There was this INSANE chase that happened to try and catch the guy and his sister harbored him. It was pretty crazy. I think a few other untimely and unwarrented deaths also happened last year but they escape me as to details.

Anyway, I'm not saying that cops now have the go ahead to do whatever they want, but they are justifiably more cautious than ever these days because they honestly don't know who is going to freak out on them next.

I watched the video. The cop is in a crowd and he has two girls threatening him and while he's trying to control one, theres a possibility that another one could grab his gun or baton or something and hurt the cop.
I think he realised this, made an executive decision to eliminate the threat quickly so that the situation didn't escalate.

Should he have punched her in the face? *shrug* Iunno. Maybe not. Maybe yes. He had no backup and there were two women fighting him. He had to disarm one quickly so that the other one didn't get a chance to jump him and make the situation worse.

He had every right to do what he did.

As for the lawsuit.. race comes into play because unfortunately we are still a very much racially charged society. And unfortunately the lawyer will play up race as being one of the factors for the cop defending himself "inappropriately".
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 08:42
Moonlight Shadows
Sorry let me make things more clear.. I was replying to the poster who brought up the fact that the only way she'd have a lawsuit in this situation is to play up the 'white cop hits black girl'
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 15:26
.miss.raditude.
Thank You. And to be honest, I didn't even know about all the shootings until you mentioned it. (And not because I don't pick up the paper and care about what's going on in my country, but because this wasn't in the news.) But with all the shootings going on up there, no wonder...and I noticed there was rather large crowd starting to surface around the two girls and the police officer.

As far as the "racially charged society", I agree. I was basing it off of what takes place in my state and what I've seen on the news and read about while studying Criminal Justice. And let me clarify, I'm not racist, but judging by what has happened in previous cases similar to this one, the "race" card was played rather quickly.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 15:58
~RedFraggle~
Lol. I'd say it's HIGHLY unlikely that those shootings weren't mentioned on the American news, seeing as the shooting of the police officers in Starbucks was on our news here! Even I've heard about it (although I didn't know which state it was in) and I saw it on the BRITISH news!

And we already know you don't watch the news... remember you said in that other thread that you don't follow the news because you don't have cable! ;D
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 20:47
Moonlight Shadows
wow you saw that on the british news?! wow.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 12:11
~RedFraggle~
I think because of the nature of it... Them being shot down while they were just drinking coffee. Yes, it was in papers and on the news here.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 02:46
.miss.raditude.
LoL...so because it was on the British new, it was on my local news in a town with the population of 2500??? Sure, red. And you're right, I don't have cable. I use rabbit ears to pick up local news, so I get FOX (sometimes) and CBS. I don't get CNN or any worldwide news. :) I find it amusing that you think you know me.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 12:17
~RedFraggle~
I don't have cable. I use rabbit ears to pick up local news, so I get FOX (sometimes) and CBS. I don't get CNN or any worldwide news.

Lol, CBS and FOX report NATIONAL and international news stories! If the shooting in Starbucks was on our news it WILL have been on those news shows. They don't only report news about YOUR town!

And anyway, we've been over this already, even if you had NO means of watching any news on TV, you have the INTERNET! Or you can pick up a national newspaper (which will report national and international stories). You just clearly have no interest in the world outside of your own little bubble.
0 likes [|reply]
19 Jun 2010, 20:54
Transit
You know, the news is in NewsPapers, not just on TV or the internet.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 02:53
.miss.raditude.
When I get the time, I read my paper from my town which happens to be a population of 2500. So, No, I didn't see that.
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 12:12
~RedFraggle~
You're seriously suggesting your town doesn't sell national newspapers?!?
0 likes [|reply]
20 Jun 2010, 15:16
.miss.raditude.
@RedFraggle

LoL! National Newspaper...when I walk into the Exxon...there's two papers in the newspaper rack. One: my small town paper. And Two: a bigger Newspaper from a county an hour away. We don't have USA Today or any of the above. And I'm not driving 30 miles out of my way to go get one.
0 likes [|reply]
21 Jun 2010, 06:33
~RedFraggle~
@ Miss.Ratitude

You're not hitting 'reply' because I didn't get notified about these.

We don't have USA Today or any of the above. And I'm not driving 30 miles out of my way to go get one.

Sorry, I can't imagine somewhere which doesn't sell national newspapers. That just doesn't happen here, even in the most rural areas. Still, it explains a lot about Americans!

Still, doesn't change anything because you still have access to all of these news stories because you have the INTERNET!
0 likes [|reply]
21 Jun 2010, 18:51
starsmaycollide
LOL. You can get a newspaper like USA Today anywhere. That's ridiculous, when you consider the number of papers sold at gas stations and grocery stores, and goodness knows we kinda have to have those everywhere. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
21 Jun 2010, 23:08
~RedFraggle~
Not according to miss.ratitude!
0 likes [|reply]
22 Jun 2010, 02:40
.miss.raditude.
Ok...come to my small town and see for yourself, since you KNOW EVERYTHING. LoL! I guess there's some things you just don't get from book learning.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends