Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
Could my router be screwing this up?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 02:17
*Forever Changing*
I have tried it with Chrome, IE and Firefox. The same thing happens with all three. Right now my Cafemom site is just a huge list of links with no graphics. Eventually it will go back to normal on my computer, but its normal on my phone so I know the site is fine. My facebook, if I go to Facebook.com it will take me to myspace.com. On my cafemom the same thing happens when I am at a post and click something, it loads whatever I clicked and then reloads to myspace.com. My Swagbucks wont let me click on any links I search, I get an error page, but it works on my phone. I know all these sites work normally because they work on my phone the same time my computer is screwing them up.

Last night I ran all my maintenance programs, cleared all my cookies, ran virus scans, and of course it worked for a while today and now tonight it is doing it again. It gets to be quite annoying and I want to bash my computer in but I know that its not the computer itself. Could it be my router? We have a wireless router that splits the signal to wireless for me and to my husbands Xbox.

I want to go get a new router but I want to be sure its even a possibility that its my router before I do it.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 03:46
Aiure
I have a Linksys wireless router. I sometimes have to reset it (unplug for 10 seconds) a few times a day because my connection is so slow.

The only time I had this problem - My facebook, if I go to Facebook.com it will take me to myspace.com. On my cafemom the same thing happens when I am at a post and click something, it loads whatever I clicked and then reloads to myspace.com. - was when my old mouse was dying. It would spaz and click random things. Maybe check out your mouse too?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 03:52
*Forever Changing*
I know its not my mouse, I havent gone to myspace at all since last night before I did the full clean and its still doing it, and it takes me to pages I have never been to (like user profiles). Myspace isnt advertised on any of the sites I use either.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:06
.youll.carry.me.
I would learn more towards Spyware/Malware/Virus than I would a router doing that, since no, you're router wouldn't be able to do that to your browsers. And that fact that it happens with all three browsers, makes me think Spyware/Malware/Virus, and esp cause it's going to random myspace.com pages, very well good be a myspace virus.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:07
.youll.carry.me.
oh my word, need to proof-read much?...I meant "lean towards" not learn towards, and your, not you're router. and I also meant very well COULD be a myspace virus. >.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:16
*Forever Changing*
Thats what I thought it was, which is why I had my husband do all his computer magic, and nothing is coming up. He has CCCleaner, and three different spyware programs, as well as I have McAffee. Nothing is coming up. I did a search on "why does facebook redirect me to myspace" and got this link, but of course its just someone elses opinion which is why I asked here.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=1589042c05c7c120&hl=en
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:32
.youll.carry.me.
hm, did you flush your dns then and nothing changed?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:36
*Forever Changing*
Nope nothing changed, and when I restart it will work again for a couple hours then start screwing up. So I thought it was the Google Redirect Virus, and I downloaded Malwarebytes, which seems to be the only thing to detect it. I just did that scan and it came up with nothing
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:36
.youll.carry.me.
Oh, and do you have either a Linksys WRT160N or a WRT310N?
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:37
*Forever Changing*
I have the Linksys WRT160N
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:43
.youll.carry.me.
Try doing this, it will tell you if it's definitely your router, although, by the sounds of it, is it, since you say once you restart it, it works for a while. I would honestly just buy a new router, since I doubt Linksys will ever fix it, but for the meantime, here is a quick fix, which is easy to follow. If you need any help along the way just msg me.

1) Open a commant prompt and run IPCONFIG /ALL . Notice that your active network adapter shows your WRT160N's address (mine is 192.168.1.1) is listed as the first DNS server. This is the problem and we are about to do something about it.
2) You should also see at least two more DNS server addresses following the router's address. If not, then log into your router and go to the Status page and look at the DNS servers listed there.
3) In Windows, go to your network adapter settings and edit its TCP/IP properties as follows:
4) Change the DNS from automatic to manual, and enter the two DNS servers from step 2. Do not include your router's address here! (Optional: if you have more than two DNS servers then you can click the Advanced button to add them to the DNS list.)
5) Apply/OK all the changes, then run IPCONFIG /ALL again to confirm that your router's address is no longer in the list of DNS servers.
6) Enjoy the wonders of the internet thanks to DNS that works as expected.
7) Wonder when Linksys is going to fix it.
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:44
.youll.carry.me.
If you get through the first step and your router is listed as your first DNS server, then you know you're on the right track, lol
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:55
*Forever Changing*
I am pretty sure I did it right, its not the first one anymore, so fingers crossed this is the solution to all my internet problems. Yay. Thank you!!!
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 04:59
.youll.carry.me.
Alright, goood luck, let me know if it works!
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2010, 20:02
*Forever Changing*
So here I am two days later and not once have I had any issues with it! Thank you again, I have been able to use the internet without getting pissed off :)
0 likes [|reply]
16 Jun 2010, 21:11
.youll.carry.me.
yay, that's awesome news! =)
0 likes [|reply]
14 Jun 2010, 06:30
*Forever Changing*
I think its safe to say *knock on wood* it worked, its working great, by now it would be redirecting me already!
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends