Search
Not Logged In
Your Username:
Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » General Discussion
Is this a bit too risque for a 7 year old?
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:48
~RedFraggle~
Of course you're entitled to an opinion, and I'm entitled to ask questions to try and understand your opinion. You defended the dancing by saying that that is how Beyonce dances in the video.

So I asked if you'd be happy for men to think of your daughter as they think of Beyonce when watching her video?

I find it interesting that you haven't answered the question though. ;)
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:52
.miss.raditude.
I wouldn't let me daughter do it in the first place. ;) I just said those girls have awesome dance moves. I think it's funny that people are freaking out over something so minor. There's world issues out there and people are blowing up because a few seven year olds put on a "risque" dance at a DANCE COMPETITION.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:56
~RedFraggle~
If it's so awsome, and so 'minor', then why wouldn't you allow your daughter to do it? Surely with it being so 'awsome' you'd be proud of her to do such a thing, no?
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 23:00
.miss.raditude.
No, that's not what I'm raising my daughter to do. I don't want my daughter to dance or cheerleading. I'd rather my daughter be in sports, or theatre. If she wanted to do dance, then fine. But I would sure as hell put her in a leotard or a one piece suit or something.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 23:05
~RedFraggle~
so, if she WANTED to dance, you would allow her to do dance routines like that?
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 23:55
.miss.raditude.
With more clothing, yes. And I take it you've never been to a dance competition?
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2010, 00:45
starsmaycollide
lol, certainly not all dance competitions involve something so tasteless.
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2010, 03:28
.miss.raditude.
You're right. But alot of them are.
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2010, 05:57
~RedFraggle~
So you WOULD be OK with your child imitating sex on stage?

And you're saying that if your daughter WANTED to dance, you WOULD be OK with old men thinking about her body in the way they think of Beyonce's body?

And actually yes, I have been to dance competitions. I dances as a really little kid, and my sister danced until the age of about 13. No-one at our dance school was EVER expected to dance in such a sexy manner as these kids.
0 likes [|reply]
19 May 2010, 15:17
.miss.raditude.
As my husband put it, he didn't find the dances "sexy" either. They were dancing for fun. I've been to several dance competitions, and some of their dances were like this. And I highly doubt if any old men even know who Beyonce is, I know my grandpa sure as hell doesn't. What it comes down to, some people in general are perverted. See, my one year old has a two piece bathing suit. Some child molesters - that's all it takes. Child molesters and perverts already have a mindset on what they're looking for. In this video, it doesn't help to not attract these people. But even if one of those girls was wearing a tank top, it could trigger something in a sicko's head.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 00:24
~RedFraggle~
Are you trying to say that those dance moves with all the pelvic thrusting and gyrating hips were NOT imitating sex?

And you have entirely missed my point about Beyonce. You justified the way these girls are dancing by saying that that is how it is done in the video. But the difference is, when Beyonce dances like that, men are glaring at an adult... when kids dance like that the men watching are glaring at CHILDREN. What you're basically saying is that you think it's totally OK to encourage men to glare at your child, because oh well, they'll go ahead and do it anyway!

And I can't believe they even make bikini sets for 1 year olds, nor can I comprehend why a mother would choose to put her 1 year old in a bikini instead of a one-piece. At one, the child certainly hasn't asked for that particular costume, so the choice to go ahead and buy it and dress her in it says A LOT about you. And I think bikinis are totally innappropriate for toddlers. Still, seeing as you're quite happy for men to stare at your child as a sexual object, it hardly surprises me!
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 00:44
.miss.raditude.
Whatever Red. And just because I put my 18 month old in a 2 piece bathing suit doesn't say anything about me. All it says for me is that the swim suit was adorable and I like it.

As far as the "men glaring at my daughter" is totally irrelevant to the way I thought the girls danced. I thought the girls put on an excellent performance. And if they had more to the costume, I would let my daughter participate.

-Peace, Red.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 11:45
Transit
Try changing a wet one piece on a baby girl/boy to change their nappy, it is almost impossible. You know I normally agree with a few of the things you say in the forum, but I find your last sentence quite offensive, you may think all men are peado's (which has come across in a lot of your posts in here, I don't know if that was the intention), but they aren't, it is quite sexist as well to place that label on men when you have failed to mention women.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 17:18
~RedFraggle~
When my little cousin (who lives by the beach) was that age she wore a one piece. It is definitely not impossible. And I see plenty of other toddlers wearing one piece suits. And anyway, by her own admission, /.miss.raditude. said she chose it because she liked the suit, not for any sort of practical reason such as to make nappy changing easier.

And of course I don't think all men are paedos. What a ridiculous suggestion. All I am saying is that the way those girls are dressing is encouraging men to look at them in a sexy way, and hence it is encouraging those men who ARE paedophiles. Obviously you get female paedophiles too, but they are by FAR in the minority.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 19:47
jessi bear(:
maybe americans don't worry about that stuff as much, but i know a LOT of little girls that wear two pieces. i never thought there was a problem.
0 likes [|reply]
21 May 2010, 01:52
~RedFraggle~
Well, America is hotter for a start! So it's quite possible. Or maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I'm probably overeacting about the swim suit thing.

But I stand by what I said about this video. Those girls are imitating sex in their dance moves, and I can't understand how any good mother would allow her daughter to perform like that. It turns them into sexual objects.
0 likes [|reply]
21 May 2010, 02:04
jessi bear(:
everyone has different things that they're comfortable with :).

but i agree about the video. it sickened me.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 20:37
Madeline Rain
or One thing to point out here: There are different cultures and they all view sexuality differently. I grew up in Catholic household, with very strict parents, and one of the dances we learned when I was about 9 or 10 was the Lambada, aka the forbidden dance. I didn't see anything wrong or sexual with it, but when I came to the US to visit family and they saw me dancing they almost kicked me out of the house for being too provocative. So yeah, different cultures interpret things differently. Maybe in Britain one-piece swimsuits aren't the norm, but in other countries they are fine, and I'd be willing to bet there aren't any more child molesters in one country than another.

Having said that, my first thought when I saw this video was "MY EYES, MY EYES!!!!". They obviously look like a Future Strippers of America convention. But if their parents are giving them a good upbringing I don't see why their dancing should affect their lives in a negative way. They're just dancing.
0 likes [|reply]
20 May 2010, 20:30
Madeline Rain
I wore bikinis when I was a year old. They were cute! :)
0 likes [|reply]
21 May 2010, 07:29
.Blue Bella.
I like the little bikini sets for babies... I want one for Lexi. I will get one for her next year for our wading pool outside. For the beach she gets a rashie suit but that's coz of the sun. They are a total pain in the ass to change her in. A lot of the time last summer I let her swim in just a swim-nappy. What does this say about me?
0 likes [|reply]
21 May 2010, 13:50
~RedFraggle~
I've already said I was probably wrong about the swim suits. Afterall it never gets that hot here. I can understand why a 2-piece may be more practical. Also, you're talking about having Lexi out in your own back garden. It's not quite the same as being in a public place. I still think when I have kids I'd prefer to have them in one-piece swimsuits (thats what we wore as kids), but maybe I'll change my mind once I discover the practicalities!
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:20
Beautiful Lies
I get that if you want to get anywhere with dancing in the 'hip hop' category or whatever that you're going to have to dance provocatively...HOWEVER. You should be dancing like that when you're older, not when you're 7 years old for christ's sake.
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 16:37
Tommy Decentralized
i saw it the other day, is disgusting!
0 likes [|reply]
16 May 2010, 18:33
♥ Steph
I'm not a parent yet, but gotta say, those girls are very talented but I would never let my kids dress/dance that like. And I know there is NO way my fiancee would let our daughter go on stage at 7 looking like that lol.
0 likes [|reply]
18 May 2010, 22:56
jessi bear(:
i tried to show my fiance the video and he just went, "Uh-uh." and walked away lol.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends