Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Violating dress code at senior prom deserves pad
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 02:23
Lovin'MyLittles
I happen to agree.. I think this dress is a poor choice for a Senior Prom. Not because of the neckline, but because the dress is so short and the fabric is see-through. I know, I know, I KNOW, that girls wear worse things.. but I can understand it breaking their rules.

HOWEVER.... I think PADDLING is a bit RIDICULOUS. And a 3 day SUSPENSION for a DRESS?! Get real =\
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 19:58
DivaAshley
She looked SO pretty, and there was NOTHING wrong with that dress. You should have seen what some of the girls wore to OUR proms... though, we did not have a dress code for prom because it was off campus.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 14:35
Transit
Her tits are half hanging out and her dress is see through, she knew the rules, she clearly bought it to cause drama.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 15:33
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
The paddling part made me crack up. Seriously, paddling isn't even legal anymore in most states, except Alabama apparently. And how can they justify paddling a bunch of 18 year olds? They are at the adult age. I can't believe they chose to take that as punishment instead of a 3 day suspension. Oh and that dress wasn't half as bad as what I see them wear here and not just to prom, to the freaking corner store! Sure her boobs hang out of it a bit and its too short but it covers more than half the outfits the other girls wear on a daily basis.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 15:57
starsmaycollide
It's still legal in several states, unfortunately, including Florida.

I'm glad to know that a lot of large districts within states who do it have it have decided on their own to ban the practice.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/20/corporal.punishment/
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 19:59
DivaAshley
In most districts around here (central TX), it's up to the parents. They have to sign a release form stating it's ok for the school to paddle their child as a form of punishment. OUR district has banned paddling all together, however.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 17:25
Greta Garbage
Bloop Community Organizer
We don't paddle kids in my county. I thought since we didn't do it in Broward that Florida must be doing the same.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 19:58
starsmaycollide
Yeah, I am student teaching right now and to my knowledge the schools I have been in don't do it either. I think it just depends on the district.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 22:55
Chris
Technically you could paddle kids in Broward, yo, you'd just need the parents' permission.

But if it DID ever happen at either Piper, Stranahan, or Dillard... holy shit, prepare for the apocalypse.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 19:20
Minda Hey Hey™
Quite honestly I don't get what the big deal about the dress is, as many people have said before me, I've seen much worse!

As for the paddling? LOL. I would have taken the suspension myself, if my own parents don't/didn't 'paddle' me then why the hell would I allow those people to do that? Hell no.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 19:38
- misseriin*
that was inappropriate?!!!
you have got to be kidding me

her dress is super cute.
when I went with my sister to find her dress. some were EXTREMELY SHORT (i'm taking barely covering your hoo-ha), or had huge cut outs in the chest region.

but still. cmon....
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 20:09
Tam I Am
That's completely ridiculous.

My prom dress was cut down in the back to just below my lower back and the front was cut in close on the sides of the chest so you got a side view of boob but no full out boob view. That principal in the video is over-reacting. Saying the dress code is for the protection of the students and not the management of students is a flat out lie. Any school official will tell you it's to really manage kids while they're at school.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 20:14
Meghans Follie
She knew the rules before she bought the dress. As someone else said - they werent guidelines that were set up they were rules that were set up prior to the prom and restated several times prior the prom.

Also she CHOSE the punishment of being paddled. There apparently were other possible punishments that she could of chosen and she didn't. So i don't understand why she is whining about any of it.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 22:57
Chris
No, she was asked whether or not to be suspended or paddled. She chose suspension.
0 likes [|reply]
4 Apr 2010, 21:13
.love.struck.
That dress was too relieving? Uh ok . . . .

I really don't understand how parts of the U.S. think sometimes. I mean she wasn't wearing booty shorts with a half shirt. I seem some pretty skanky dresses at my senior prom and this was in 2001!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 00:46
Estella
Golly gosh, yo - but clearly there are American schools that have dress codes that they choose to appply to their proms. Like, that is their prerogative. They might seem daft rules to us, but the kid attends the shcool, so she has to stick to the roolz. I don't get why these stories are always hitting the headlines. Most schools have daft rules. Kids have been suspended for daft reasons since the beginning of time! She'll get over it.
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 02:14
lithium layouts.
For me I find the stories interesting/amusing because you have to wonder - why are such rules in place to begin with? Sure, the kid will get over it, and it is the school's choice to put in whichever rules they like. But I think the stories (for me at least) are more drawing attention to and questioning the reasons behind the existence of the rule in the first place, rather than the effect on the students who violate it. And it always seems to be the American schools pulling these interesting tricks. xD Brit and Aussie schools are boring!
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 02:29
raen
If someone pulled a paddle out in my country, all the parents would be flipping their shits. That's ridiculously extreme.
In regards to lithium layouts' post, if you look at some of the old laws and by-laws of a lot of cities, staties, provinces, you'll find that there are the strangest things. In the town I grew up in, there's a bi-law that states that you can only walk your goat without a leash and a loaded shotgun after midnight, through town. Since when was that ever a problem, you know?
0 likes [|reply]
5 Apr 2010, 20:53
queenbutterfly
I would honestly choose the suspension as well. I think at that age, spanking does nothing but promote anger. It takes a way a sense of pride with the child. I mean too, what 18-year-old student wants to be told, "Bend over?" I'm curious too, do they spank them hard enough to make them feel pain or is it just a few lashings that barely affect them?

Either way, spanking at that age is just pointless to me. I think there should be other punishments offered if they insist on doing it. Although I do agree that this was all extreme anyways.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2010, 02:37
Winged Centaur
My old school (where my brothers currently attend) still use corporeal punishment if the parents have signed a waiver. My parents signed the waiver. ;D My brothers are naughty! They need to be paddled!
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2010, 03:19
jessi bear(:
while i think that corporal punishment should NOT be in schools, the girl did know the rules before hand. do i think the dress was inappropriate? no. but it did break the rules, which she knew about before she got the dress.
0 likes [|reply]
6 Apr 2010, 08:46
KerriBlue
Wow, paddling? Really?! Didn't know that was still legal. Ouch!

So my second high school was a pretty religiously based high-school, so of course they had dress codes and rules that were set. And regardless of how rebelious I felt in the beginning, and tried to defy those rules; I still knew there was a code and after getting a stern talking to, I'd conform to the rules. Those rules had been established; I signed a contract agreeing to them. End of story. Had I stayed long enough to attend the senior formal for that school; I would have stuck to any dress code the had. I mean eventually I learnt to respect rules and understand them. Some rules can be questionable at times, but if you're aware of the rules, then I think you should respect them. I do want to know how CLEAR they made these rules to the students. Because one persons idea of too short can be another persons idea of acceptable. It's a matter of perception. (I don't think the dress is appropriate..but thats because, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something such as that. Kudos for her confidence)

I do wish my senior formal had rules regarding dress code. Seriously; I went to high school in ridiculous area. Girls dressed highly inappropriately. And I mean HIGHLY INAPPROPRIATELY. It would have been nice to see some classic and beautiful dresses, rather than skimpy little cocktail-stripper dresses.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2010, 13:53
valerieeeee
As a lot of people have already said though: they were reminded three times of the dress code, and she chose to break it. That's her fault. Yeah, the dress code might be ridiculous, but she knew about it. If her mom thinks the dress is appropriate to wear, awesome. Find another occasion to wear it, and buy a prom dress that the school will let her to wear to the prom. It's her fault for not adhering to the (too strict) guidelines.
0 likes [|reply]
7 Apr 2010, 22:46
.miss.raditude.
lol. That's ridiculous. I'm pretty top-heavy, and you can't find alot of dresses that don't have a low cut. *sighs.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends