Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1 
Mentally ill British man executed in China
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 11:39
~RedFraggle~
I think this is absolutely disgusting. At no point did this man have a psychiatric assessment despite strong evidence to suggest he was mentally ill. China should be ashamed of a policy with such little respect for human rights and life.

British man said to be mentally ill executed in China

A British man convicted of drug smuggling in China has been executed, the Foreign Office has confirmed.

Akmal Shaikh, 53, a father-of-three, of London, had denied any wrongdoing and his family said he was mentally ill. The execution took place despite repeated calls from his family and the British government for clemency. Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he was "appalled and disappointed". But the Chinese Embassy said Mr Shaikh had no previous record of mental illness.

Mr Shaikh's family made continued calls for leniency right up until the execution deadline, citing his mental state, saying that he suffered from bipolar disorder. His daughter Leilla Horsnell said: "I am shocked and disappointed that the execution went ahead with no regards to my dad's mental health problems, and I struggle to understand how this is justice."

In a statement issued after the execution, the Chinese Embassy said Mr Shaikh's rights "were properly respected and guaranteed" and British concerns were "duly noted and taken into consideration". It said: "As for his possible mental illness which has been much talked about, there apparently has been no previous medical record." A report from the official Chinese news agency Xinhua said that China's Supreme People's Court had not been provided with any documentation proving that Mr Shaikh had a mental disorder.

Mr Shaikh is the first EU national to be executed in China in more than 50 years. Foreign Office minister Ivan Lewis said he is believed to have died by lethal injection. His body will not be repatriated to the UK, and Mr Lewis said Mr Shaikh had been buried quickly "in accordance with the Muslim faith".

Mr Shaikh's family said he had been delusional and duped into a carrying a suitcase that did not belong to him when he was found with 4kg of heroin in Urumqi, north-west China, in September 2007. His daughter has said drug smugglers in Poland convinced him they would make him a popstar in China.

Mr Lewis held last-ditch talks with the Chinese ambassador in London on Monday evening. He said the government had made 27 representations to China in two years, and believed it had done everything it possibly could. The Chinese authorities have stubbornly failed to take account of this poor man's severe mental illness shows that China is still stuck in the dark ages. The execution made him "sick to the stomach", he said, and China "had a responsibility to adhere to the most basic standards of human rights".

The Chinese ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office.

In a statement, Mr Brown said: "I condemn the execution of Akmal Shaikh in the strongest terms, and am appalled and disappointed that our persistent requests for clemency have not been granted. "I am particularly concerned that no mental health assessment was undertaken. "At this time our thoughts are with Mr Shaikh's family and friends and I send them our sincere condolences." Foreign Secretary David Miliband also condemned the execution. He said the UK was opposed to the use of the death penalty in all circumstances, but also "deeply regretted" that his specific concerns in this case, including "mental health issues, and inadequate professional interpretation" had been ignored.

Conservative leader David Cameron echoed the condemnation, saying he "deplored and deeply regretted" the execution. "It is appalling that the concerns [about Mr Shaikh's mental health] were not independently assessed during the more than two years [he] was in custody, and taken properly into account in the judicial process," he said.

The legal charity Reprieve had taken up Mr Shaikh's case for the family. Through the charity, the family issued a statement thanking all those who tried to help including Reprieve, the Foreign Office, those who attended a vigil outside the Chinese embassy in London, and the organisers of a Facebook group calling for clemency. They asked for privacy "as they come to terms with what has happened to someone they loved".

Katherine O'Shea, Reprieve's communications director, said it was "devastated" Mr Shaikh had been killed. "That such a thing can happen in this day and age is really something that should alarm all of us," she said. "This guy was a very vulnerable person, extremely ill. He slipped through the cracks of society, and he was frankly failed by China and by their legal system. And it's an absolute disgrace that he should have been killed." Philip Alston, a UN special rapporteur, said the execution amounted to a violation of Chinese and international law. International law "points very strongly in the direction" of the principle that the death penalty should only be used for crimes which result directly in the death of others, he said. "It is time for the international community to mount a much more concerted effort to put an end to these sorts of executions," he added.

In its statement, the Chinese Embassy said Mr Shaikh was convicted of "serious" drug trafficking. "The amount of heroin he brought into China was 4,030g, enough to cause 26,800 deaths, threatening numerous families," it said. It added: "The legal structures of China and UK may be different, but it should not stand in the way of enhancing our bilateral relations on the basis of mutual respect."

A spokeswoman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, Jiang Yu, told a press briefing in Beijing no-one had the right to comment on China's judicial sovereignty. "We express our strong dissatisfaction and opposition to the British government's unreasonable criticism of the case. We urge [them] to correct their mistake in order to avoid harming China-UK relations," she said. BBC world affairs correspondent Mike Wooldridge said in the final appeal for clemency before the execution Britain had expressed the hope that its relationship with China would count for something. "But in the event, its influence has been severely tested in this case," he said.

Charity MDF, The Bipolar Organisation, described the execution as "medieval rough justice" and an "absolute tragedy". Spokesman Robert Westhead said: "The way the Chinese authorities have stubbornly failed to take account of this poor man's severe mental illness shows that China is still stuck in the dark ages."
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 11:39
~RedFraggle~
From BBC News 29th Dec 09
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 19:45
Acid Fairy
This is so disgusting, and the comments on The Daily Mail and the BBC Have Your Say site are also fucking disgusting.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 20:37
~RedFraggle~
I haven't seen them. What are people saying?
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 20:48
~RedFraggle~
I just looked at The Daily Mail comments. I feel sick at the cruelty and ignorance of some of the people in this country. This man wasn't a drug dealer! He was unwell.

This isn't a victory in the war against drugs. It's the killing of an innocent man.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 20:55
Acid Fairy
The problem with many DM readers is that they refuse to broaden their minds and just swallow what the DM feeds them willingly. A lot of them are ridiculously ignorant when it comes to mental illness, and I do think it needs to be addressed. There is too much of a stigma attached, and it's ridiculous!
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 12:03
& skull.
that's bloody horrible.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 12:29
queenbutterfly
I think that he should have been punished for his crime - however, this was extreme. He should have gotten some time, but not death! And if they even where told that he had a mental issue he should have been tested. If than they found nothing wrong, than they go back and do the trial and he serves times. But how many drug dealers are in the US and barely get a year? And we all know what there going to do when they get out - go back to selling drugs. Seriously...
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 13:04
BOTTOM
punished for what crime? he was tricked into carrying someone elses suitcase, he was taken advantage of because of his vulnerability.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 15:22
Emily the Strange
I hate to be the one to say it......but it's China. Not exactly a country notorious for peace, love, and hugging mentally ill people. It makes me sick that it happened, but I'm not at all surprised it did.
0 likes [|reply]
29 Dec 2009, 19:46
Acid Fairy
I do wonder if it would have happened before the Olympics?
0 likes [|reply]
30 Dec 2009, 07:12
& skull.
yeah that's what i thought. it's terrible, but hardly surprising.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends