Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » In The News
Page:  1  2 
Global Warming
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 19:40
Chris
Sure, he was wrong about the CO2, and everybody knows he used frames from The Day After Tomorrow. When I watched it, I thought it was a joke.

But with the two links you gave me, you still haven't provided a source that says he faked figures. You just gave me two links that didn't answer my question.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 19:46
Transit
Gore now blames soot and methane for the majority of global warming, leaving the door open for a tax on livestock, a tax on meat, a tax on milk, and on and on until he changes his mind again and blames another culprit so that too can be taxed.

This bit, in the 'film' he states that nothing but Co2 causes any global warming and denied that evidence for methane etc was correct and simply produced to counteract his 'knowledge'.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2633838.ece

This long

The claim that sea levels could rise by 20ft “in the near future” was dismissed as “distinctly alarmist”. Such a rise would take place “only after, and over, millennia”.

Mr Justice Burton added: “The ar-mageddon scenario he predicts, inso-far as it suggests that sea level rises of seven metres might occur in the immediate future, is not in line with the scientific consensus.”

A claim that atolls in the Pacific had already been evacuated was supported by “no evidence”, while to suggest that two graphs showing carbon dioxide levels and temperatures over the last 650,000 years were an “exact fit” overstated the case.

Mr Gore’s suggestion that the Gulf Stream, that warms up the Atlantic ocean, would shut down was contradicted by the International Panel on Climate Change’s assessment that it was “very unlikely” to happen.

The drying of Lake Chad, the loss of Mount Kilimanjaro’s snows and Hurricane Katrina were all blamed by Mr Gore on climate change but the judge said the scientific community had been unable to find evidence to prove there was a direct link.

The drying of Lake Chad, the judge said, was “far more likely to result from other factors, such as population increase and overgrazing, and regional climate variability”. The melting of snow on Mt Kilimanjaro was “mainly attributable to human-induced climate change”.

The judge also said there was no proof to support a claim that polar bears were drowning while searching for icy habitats melted by global warming. The only drowned polar bears the court was aware of were four that died following a storm.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 19:58
Chris
...Okay, but where did he fake figures? You're giving me all these errors with his story, that are at worst honest mistakes, but MOSTLY Al Gore's personal predictions (how do you say "GIVE ME PROOF" to someone's prediction? It hasn't happened yet.).

But you've yet to show me where he's altered figures. That's all I asked you for. Believe me, I'm aware of the errors in research and the inconsistencies of his prediction to what's really happening.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:08
Transit
Oddly enough I don't have the film downloaded onto my computer with copies of each graph he used, nothing he said in the 'film' was a personal prediction, everything he presented he informed the viewer was based on correct scientific evidence. There used to be a news piece on BBC iplayer with clips from the film compared to real scientific evidence shortly after the court trial, this isn't available anymore as they are taken down after a month, I've searched youtube but I can't find it on there.

Saying that atolls in the pacific have been evacuated, when that is a complete lie, is an honest mistake? Using fake pictures is simply an honest mistake? Paying British scientists to make up figures and pass them off as real is an honest mistake?

0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:12
Chris
Seeing as you have offered absolutely zero proof to anything I've asked of you, yes, I will take his claims as honest, yes minor errors in research that doesn't invalidate the point of his lecture.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:21
Transit
Yes, so minor that he was taken to court in the UK and the nine main parts of his 'research' was deemed to be fiction.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:34
Chris
And so little so that you can't produce a shred of proof when asked three times.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:40
Chris
Sorry, I misread. They weren't deemed fiction. They were deemed errors. Al Gore pointed out what various cities would look like if the sea levels rose due to the entire ice cap melting. He didn't say that was going to happen in 5 minutes.

The second claim was an exaggeration, not a fabrication. Learn the difference.

The Gulf Stream shutting down is a prediction based on his own knowledge and research on what would happen. A panel of scientists disagreeing with it doesn't deem it "fiction," which also goes for any other claims that panels of scientists have scrutinized.

Also:

The melting of snow on Mt Kilimanjaro was “mainly attributable to human-induced climate change”.

A quote from one of the articles you gave me.

As for the polar bears, not only was it NOT a "main part" of the article, but he didn't even say polar bears were swimming right now. He said the polar bear population that lives on the ice caps would go extinct because they would lose their homes.

Either way, I didn't ask you about his claims about global warming, because I'm well aware of them. I asked you for proof about his paying scientists to alter figures. You made it up. Congratulations.
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 07:01
Ariel ♥
I just find it funny when people say they don't "believe" in global warming. Um, wake up, it's not a religion. It's happening right now. That's like saying you don't believe in chocolate chip cookie scented candles...but they make 'em all right, you BETTER believe it! :P
0 likes [|reply]
26 Nov 2009, 20:28
Super Logica
Hehe, I shall simply second this instead of drafting my own reply. This isn't the first time global warming has been discussed here, and it will achieve nothing but drama.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends