Your Password:

[ sign up | recover ]

Discussion Forums » Techie Talk
Page:  1 
WallWatcher Software
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 09:25
Tam I Am
My friend who still works at the library said that the computer "technician" (I put that in quotes because the guy hardly knows what he's doing half the time) has intalled wallwatcher software on the boss' computer. Now the boss says it's just so she can see what people are doing on the public access computers which I think is illegal, but my friend is curious as to whether it will show the boss what they (the workers) are looking at on their computers as well since everything is networked together.

If anyone has any idea of this can you please let me know so I can tell my friend?
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 16:20
Chris
It's not illegal because they're public computers, yet still owned by the library. I don't think you should be using public computers to do things you're not supposed to be doing anyway, and if you aren't, you really have nothing to worry about.

Also, if you use a public computer to pay bills and deal with credit cards, then there are issues that go far beyond the ethics of installing Wallwatcher software on public computers.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 16:26
Doc
A lot of time when you use a library computer (at least from a public terminal) you have to agree to their TOS before getting access and use your library card. At least that is how it is here.

Far as being legal or not... would depend on your local laws concerning private and public networks. *shrugs* I really have no clue. To find out what the software does though, google is your friend. :)

I do believe Chris is correct from what little I know about it though.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 16:37
Doc
If it is this one.... http://www.wallwatcher.com/ ..... then it only records network traffic data that any network admin could get anyway from the server/firewall logs. What computer accessed what sites... etc etc.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 16:40
Doc
I hope they do know that everything they do is logged anyway, since they (99% sure on this one) use a domain to login through a server that feeds them local webpages (such as database pages and server related searches and stuff) and internet access. It logs damn near everything..... heh. All that program seems to do is display some of the basic info that is logged anwyay.
0 likes [|reply]
24 Nov 2009, 16:44
Doc
In short but sweet terms though.... it will show what websites they visit but won't show what info they use to log in with like for email and stuff.
This thread is locked, unable to reply
Online Friends
Offline Friends